Borrowed from battlepunk
, my year in brief:
1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
Signed up for my own health care, went to Germany, applied to graduate school...adult stuff, mostly.
2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Honestly, I don't really remember what my resolutions last year were. If they were sensible, like save money and lose weight, I absolutely did. I made a couple for the upcoming year, which will improve my life measurably if I can keep them, so hopefully that will be the case.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousin's wife had her second son.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My grandfather died in May. And Liz.
5. What countries did you visit?
Germany! It was fun.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
I don't know! Maybe more personal days? I like taking days off for no reason other than sleeping or watching movies.
7. What date from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I'm really, really bad at remembering specific days. My grandfather's funeral I'll remember, definitely, but I don't remember the date of it.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting into graduate school! Also losing almost 40 pounds.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not painting more models.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had maybe two really bad illness weekends, but no injuries outside of toe stubbing.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
BIlly, for putting up with my intense insanity while I was applying for school and being anxious about work, and for supporting me and giving me pep talks when Weight Watchers got me really down.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
The government and the oil companies during the Gulf spill.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent, bills, going out to eat. Going to movies.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Getting into grad school, mostly. Losing weight I never thought I could. My dad closing a few HUGE cases.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
Soul Sister by Train, even though it's not from 2010. Anything by Ke$ha.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier? I think. I'm in a good place.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner!
iii. richer or poorer? Richer. One of the benefits to my full time job.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Seen more movies in theaters, made more of an effort to communicate with people.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Being lazy on the couch
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
I spent Christmas eve with Billy's family and Christmas day at home with my family.
21. How will you be spending New Year’s Eve?
We had a party! It was fun.
22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
I stayed in love in 2010.
23. How many one-night stands?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
True Blood, Community, Glee, The Walking Dead
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Hate? No. Strongly irritated with? Yes.
26. What was the best book you read?
Hrrrrm. It's a close one, but I think Airman
by Eoin Colfer was my favorite.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Metric. It's a work in progress, but I really liked their work on the Scott Pilgrim
28. What did you want and get?
Weight loss, grad school acceptance. Probably some littler things too, but those are the big ones.
29.What did you want and not get?
To live in my apartment without a third roommate, but I didn't get a raise this year.
30. What was your favourite film that you saw for the first time this year?
AUGH. How To Train Your Dragon
, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
, Toy Story 3
. I'm mentally incapable of choosing just one.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 23. There was a party - we played whirlyball. It was AWESOME.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Jeez, I dunno. It was pretty good.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Slacks for work, jeans for home. Zip-up hoodies over brightly colored tank tops. Skirts in the summer.
34. What kept you sane?
Billy, my sister, movie night.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The oil spill made me the most angry.
37. Who did you miss?
Iowa City folk and my expat friends.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I didn't meet a whole lot of new people... Emily, my friend Ian's girlfriend, is pretty rad. And Alan, my supervisor at the library when I volunteer, is really cool and helpful.
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Feeling anxious does not mean things are actually going to go wrong.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.You've come far, and though you're far from the end
You don't mind where you are, cause you know where you've been
from "Let Your Troubles Roll By" by Carbon Leaf